09 July 2010

4th of July, Roadtrips, and Fresh Air

Over the 4th of July weekend, R and I had a crazy thought at the same time. We decided it would be fun to challenge ourselves with Sookie's first road trip to Idaho and our first trip as a family. Now, bless her heart, she actually loves being in the car. Most of the time she ends up falling asleep. Although, she had never been in the car for more than an hour at most. At first, I let myself get caught up in the packing and throwing everything together in a matter of hours, as this was a last minute decision. Then, as soon as we pulled the car out of the garage, I started to panic. This might turn out to be a complete nightmare.

It was wonderful to get away as a family. We requested a portable crib at the hotel, but she ended up sleeping with us in the big king size bed. (We need one!) I don't care what the "experts" say, sometimes being in bed with Mama and Daddy is the best place for a little one...but that is a whole separate blog post. ;)

We tried to endure the fair in Idaho on the night of the 4th, but the universe just didn't want that to happen. We missed the fireworks and all that fun, but I think perhaps it was for the best because Sookie was able to see the fireworks from far away and wasn't traumatized by the noise.

Of course, in the end I worried about a lot of things that never came up. Sook did very well in the car on the way up and on the way back. We stopped a lot to give ourselves a break, and for her to have a little exercise outside of the car seat. I am so grateful we took the risk and just went with it, despite the stress of traveling with a 5 month old. We were able to spend the weekend with family and it never hurts to give yourself a break from the routine. R and I were able to have a myriad of fun and interesting conversations that were abundant in our early dating weeks and months. These talks served as a fresh little jolt for our relationship as new parents. It never ceases to amaze me how a few days out of your normal environment can change your outlook on tired issues. I adore coming home with a renewed sense of zest for life, love, and mommyhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment